Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Beer #6: Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA

I was first introduced to Dogfish Head Brewery by the documentary “Beer Wars” which also introduced me to Dogfish Head founder Sam Calagione. For some reason I hadn’t gotten around to trying one his brews out. Hear is a quick video about this beer.

 

The aroma is very citrus/Apricot like and jumps out at you.  Has a deep orange amber color. Has a fruity sour taste with active carbonation that is nice on the tongue and has a dry finish. I feel the fruitiness is overwhelming and is actually a turnoff. It’s like I’m drinking apricot juice that’s carbonated.

IMG_4981

This beer has perplexed me. If you look around at beer sites everyone seems to be in love with this beer. Beer Advocate gives this one an A- and scores a perfect 100 at RateBeer. At the time of this writing I’ve tried this beer four different times to be sure that I’m getting the right impression. This is my first Imperial IPA and if others are like this I think I’ll skip over them. I don’t mind a hint of hops aroma but it’s too much for me. I leave this one to the beer snobs. I gave it a “C-/2.65“ on Beer Advocate.

No comments:

Post a Comment