Monday, February 2, 2015

Rhode Island Brew Fest 2015

Had the pleasure of attending the Rhode Island Brew Fest at the Pawtucket Armory. I was originally slated to go to the early session but because my girlfriend wanted to be my designated driver but she could only go to the second session at 5:30pm. My past experience with these events is that you really should have a designated driver. Having many samplings do add up after awhile.


It was very crowded in the big hall was challenging working your way through the three main passages. After about one time around my girl tired of it and stayed near back where the music and food was while I worked my way around solo. The vendors were a mix of local and big name craft beer brewers. Big names Samuel Adams, Sierra Nevada, Magic Hat, Smuttynose were there. Some local names were Rhode Island's own Foolproof(who's brewery I've visited), Newport Storm, Narragansett and Revival and more.



My strategy was to try ones that I haven't tried before. My girlfriend wanted to enjoy my company later rather than having driving around a stumbling fool. I won't tell you about how she was at the Superbowl party the next night but I'll leave it at that. It was for my safety.



Here are some observations:

  • Was disappointed Sierra Nevada's Hop Hunter IPA after the much talked about lawsuit by Lagunita(who was also there),that was quickly dropped.
  • Finch's Beer out of Chicago could be filed under "Nicest Surprise" with their Nuclear Winter dark Belgian Ale and Secret Stache American Stout. I'm looking forward to finding those at my local bottle store.
  • Best Swag Item would be Vermont's Magic Hat  with the "Magic Hat Condom". Yes I did take one. 
  •  Under What I've been wanting to try but haven't got around to was Oscar Blues Ten Fidy which I was not disappointed by the least.
Here are some more scenes:




Smuttynose


Narragansett Brewing


Cisco Brewing out of Nantucket

My girl decided she had enough of being hit on while waiting around for me and it was nearing the end it was time to go. It was great time. I even collected a nice snifter glass which I'm enjoying some nice brew in now writing this. Now she says I owe her a wine tasting.

The glass, disappointed Mayflower Brewing was not there.



No comments:

Post a Comment