Friday, November 21, 2014

Beer for Thought: Drink what you like


Drink whatever you like. It does not matter to me. Admittedly when I started exploring the craft beer scene I fell into criticizing or picking on those macro-pale lager drinkers wondering what was wrong with them. I didn't understand them. Don't they want more than your typical big beer pale lager full of adjuncts. Yuck!


I also saw the documentary "Beer Wars" which fed into this mania of big beer verses the noble small business brewers. The big beer companies painted as the evil empire with Anheuser-Busch (as the Emperor) and MillerCoors (as Darth Vader) against the rebels scum played by the craft brewers. We see the battles and dirty tricks the evil empire pulls trying to squeeze on our valiant heroes(Led by Luke Skywalker). I don't say that they don't. If you read up on the early history of these companies is that they've been aggressive and been pulling shenanigans for over a century in this country.It's always been there and always will.

 The poor adjunct pale lager perhaps doesn't deserve all the hate it gets. How did it get so popular? People drank it and a lot of it. Early brewers noticed that people(mainly American's) would drink massive quantities of this stuff. Let's face most companies, whatever they produce or provide, will follow the cash flow. So what did they make? Pale  Lager. The trend actually started in Europe and even squashed many other types of beer that were made. When they immigrated to America it came along with them and it exploded in the new country.


I'll respect whatever your choice of beer make. Sometimes I even drink a brew from the evil empire too. More often than not I'm drinking something else besides that. More than likely I'll be drinking something brewed by those rebellious craft brewers. I try to be open about what try and not judge by who makes it. I judge beer by my own taste and no one else. I'd encourage you to have an open mind about beer. Maybe suggest a starter brew at most. I find it fun to explore different beers. I think your missing out on some pretty good beers if you restrict yourself otherwise.

So whether it be Bud Light, Coors Light, Samuel Adams Boston Lager, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, DogFish Head 60 Minute, Duvel or a Heady Topper drink up and enjoy. Your in good company because your enjoying the best beverage in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment