Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Beer #2 : Schlitz – Classic 60’s Formula

SchlitzThis was the beer I remember my uncles drinking when I was a kid. For nostalgia sake I decided to try this one out. It had a surprisingly good taste and was pleasantly surprised how much I liked this one.

Part of the history of this is that up until the 1970’s this was one of the America’s best selling beers. It was at that time though that someone in management tried to reformulate(can you say “New Coke”?) the brew to save money in production. It altered the taste and also led to freshness issues. Sales declined and after a strike the brand was bought out by Stroh’s then Pabst in the late 90’s when it seemed the brand was relegated to “cheap” beer status only sold in can’s.

In 2008 the classic 60’s formula was revised and has made a comeback. I was surprised to find it in beer stores not to long ago and I’ve finally gotten around to trying it. Like I said before I pleasantly surprised that it tasted wonderful. It does have a slightly hop like flavor and aroma. Has a soft amber color with a head that disappears quickly. Very smooth going down with no bitter after-taste. For a pale lager type of beer I thought it was very good. It’s certainly worth a try.

Beer Advocate Rating: B (107 reviews)

Schlitz Official Website

My Beer Advocate Rating: B- (3.35)

1 comment: