Friday, July 4, 2014

Red, White and Brew


Mayflower IPA enjoyed on a recent whale watching trip off Plymouth, Massachusett's.

Beer and the 4th of July go hand in hand. Nothing goes better with that juicy burger off the grill than an ice cold brew. Some brews are patriotic no matter the time of the year. Here would be my personal picks of what I would think of as "All-American Beers" for a holiday such as Independence Day. These are of no particular order.

  • Anchor Liberty Ale - Anchor Brewing - The name says it all this one. Originally brewed in the 70's to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the battle of Lexington and Concord in 1975. This light citrus hopped Ale was my intro to craft brews so it does hold a sentimental place in my heart. An excellent starter or intro to the world of micro-brews.
  • Yuengling Lager - Yuengling Brewing - Yuengling holds the distinction of being America's oldest brewery since 1829. Recently introduced to my area so I had to try it and it was very respectable although I'm not sure it was as great as the hype made it out to be.They do hold a very devote and passionate fan base. 
  • Mayflower IPA - Mayflower Brewing - What could be my patriotic than a brew than one brewed in America's hometown of Plymouth, Massachusett's? This respectable India Pale Ale is is true to the style and is refreshing.
  • Samuel Adams Boston Lager - Boston Brewing Company- What can be more patriotic than a brew named after Boston patriot Samuel Adams(not an actual brewing but worked a bit in his father's malt business which close enough I guess). A Boston tradition since 1984 is a rich flavorful Vienna style Lager.
  • Narragansett Lager - Narragansett Brewing - A New England favorite that has enjoyed a resurgence as of late. Was the beer of the Boston Red Sox for many years. Was also famous for being the beer Quint of the movie "Jaws" drank while telling shark tales. They even have throwback cans from that era.
 Of course these are my personal favorites. I also know I heavily favored the locals. I can do that cause it's my blog so there. I'd be sure to hear what your favorite red,white and blue brews are. Have a happy and safe 4th of July weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment